Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

US backs Philippines against China’s ‘nature reserve’

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Saturday expressed support for the Philippines in rejecting China’s announcement to establish the so-called “Huangyan Island National Nature Reserve” at Scarborough Shoal (Bajo de Masinloc).  

“The United States stands with our Philippine ally in rejecting China’s destabilizing plans to establish a ‘national nature reserve’ at Scarborough Reef,” Rubio said in a statement.

- Advertisement -

“Beijing claiming Scarborough Reef as a nature preserve is yet another coercive attempt to advance sweeping territorial and maritime claims in the South China Sea at the expense of its neighbors, including by preventing Filipino fishermen from accessing these traditional fishing grounds,” he added.

The US official reiterated the call for China to comply with the Permanent Court of Arbitration’s ruling on July 12, 2016, that invalidated China’s sweeping nine-dash claim.

“The United States calls upon China to abide by the 2016 Arbitral Tribunal’s unanimous decision that China had unlawfully prevented Filipino fishermen from engaging in traditional fishing at Scarborough Reef, which is final and legally binding on both Parties,” Rubio said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) previously announced that it will issue a formal diplomatic protest against China over its move, which is seen to strengthen its territorial claims and maritime rights in the contested region.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img