Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Wawao Builders’ chief dodges senators’ questions over ghost projects

Wawao Builders owner Mark Allan Arevalo invoked his right against self-incrimination during a Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing on Monday as lawmakers pressed him about alleged ghost flood control projects.

Arevalo faced questions from Senate Majority Leader Joel Villanueva and Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada, who asked whether his company had benefited from non-existent or anomalous contracts in Bulacan.

He declined to give direct answers, repeatedly citing legal advice from his lawyers who warned that any statement could be used against him in potential cases. “I invoke my right against self-incrimination, sir,” he said.

“Because of the issues where DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) contractors may be charged and since the Senate report may recommend filing cases against the resource person, my lawyers advised me not to speak at this time,” Arevalo added.

His refusal to confirm or deny the allegations drew frustration from senators, who accused him of evading simple questions about the existence of ghost projects.

“It’s like being asked if you’re a person, and you don’t even know if you are one,” Villanueva said.

Arevalo, who established Wawao Builders in 2017 with an initial capital of P9 million, said the company began engaging in government contracts in 2019.

Records show that the firm initially worked on projects in Metro Manila and Quezon province before expanding into Bulacan, where it has since handled dozens of contracts.

By 2022, Wawao Builders had emerged as a major player in flood control projects, securing 15 contracts in Bulacan alone—a sharp rise from a single contract in 2021.

The company maintained strong growth in succeeding years, eventually ranking among the top 15 contractors nationwide.

From 2022 to 2025, it reportedly obtained 60 flood control contracts worth P4.37 billion, with the majority concentrated in Bulacan.

Estrada noted that his office received reports of ghost projects in Malolos City and the municipalities of Calumpit and Hagonoy, with Wawao Builders allegedly among the firms involved.

Committee chairperson Rodante Marcoleta warned that Arevalo could face dozens of plunder charges unless he fully cooperates with the inquiry.

Marcoleta said the Senate may offer leniency if contractors identify the main players behind anomalous projects, suggesting financial settlements could be considered in place of criminal prosecution.

Former Public Works Secretary Manuel Bonoan told senators earlier that at least P5.9 billion worth of projects in Bulacan appeared questionable, though validation was still ongoing.

Arevalo identified some projects in San Juan City, Quezon City, and Quezon province but stopped short of acknowledging the firm’s extensive operations in Bulacan.

He insisted that addressing allegations directly would jeopardize his legal standing amid threats of criminal and administrative cases.

The committee vowed to press ahead with the investigation, which has already implicated several contractors tied to the DPWH.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img