PBBM orders creation of independent body to probe projects
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has accepted the resignation of embattled Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Manuel Bonoan a day after the DPWH chief said resignation was not the answer to the flood control projects’ mess.
Communication Office chief Dave Gomez also said yesterday the President appointed Transportation Secretary Vince Dizon to head the DPWH, with instructions to overhaul and cleanse the whole agency of allegations of corruption, particularly on purportedly anomalous flood control projects.
“Secretary Dizon has been tasked to conduct a full organizational sweep of the Department and ensure that public funds are used solely for infrastructure that truly protects and benefits the Filipino people,” he said in a statement.
In his resignation letter, Bonoan expressed support for the President’s call for accountability, transparency, and reform within the DPWH.
The announcement of Bonoan’s termination effective today came on the heels of his video statement addressing the issues hounding the DPWH.
As this developed, Senate President Chiz Escudero wished Dizon success in his new post.
“The hands-on approach and fresh perspective he brings will serve him well in confronting the deeply entrenched problems that have long plagued the DPWH,” he said in a statement.
Sen. Panfilo Lacson, on the other hand, said the President made both a hard decision and a good choice in Secretary Vince Dizon to replace a beleaguered DPWH secretary.”
“I have watched and followed Vince Dizon’s indefatigable, almost daily effort to solve the numerous problems that beset the transportation sector. I can only wish him Godspeed and more importantly, good health,” he added.
In a separate statement, Rep. Terry Ridon, the Co-Chairperson of InfraComm, said, “Former Secretary Bonoan will still be invited to the InfraComm hearing, and an invitation will be given to incoming DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon.”
“We thank Secretary Bonoan for his service and wish him well in his future endeavors. The House Infrastructure Committee will nonetheless continue with its initial hearing on Tuesday, focusing on the President’s site inspections of ghost and substandard projects in Bulacan, and undercapitalized firms cornering billions of pesos in flood control contracts”, Ridon added.
To ensure uninterrupted operation of the Department of Transportation (DOTr), the President designated lawyer Giovanni Lopez as officer-in-charge.
Lopez was sworn in as Undersecretary for Administration, Finance, and Procurement last February.
He previously served as chief of staff in the Office of the Secretary from 2020 to 2022 and held senior positions overseeing critical railway, aviation, and maritime infrastructure projects.
As acting secretary, Lopez is mandated to ensure continuity of operations and build upon the gains mustered under Dizon’s leadership, particularly in advancing transport modernization and supporting initiatives that prioritize commuter safety, systems efficiency, and seamless project delivery.
To further reinforce accountability, the President has established an Independent Commission to Investigate Flood Control Anomalies.
The special panel will conduct a comprehensive review of projects, identify irregularities, and recommend accountability measures to boost public trust in infrastructure spending.
These decisions reflect the administration’s firm resolve to clean up corruption, strengthen institutions, and deliver honest and effective public service under Bagong Pilipinas, the Palace said.
Several lawmakers had earlier called for the creation of an independent body to investigate the misuse of billions of government funds in flood control projects.
Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Dizon takes over DPWH as Bonoan quits—Palace”







