Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Ridon shifts blame to DPWH, Malacañang over ‘ghost’ Bulacan projects

Bicol Saro Party-list Rep. Teddy Ridon,  co-chair of the House Infrastructure Committee, took up the cudgels Wednesday for Congress, which has been criticized in connection with alleged anomalous and ‘ghost’ flood control projects in Bulacan.

Ridon said similar to the ghost project in Baliuag, Bulacan, the other two projects inspected by President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. in the said province had been proposed by the executive to the Congress, as indicated in the National Expenditure Program (NEP) for 2022 and 2023.

Citing documents, Ridon said the P96.4-million Rehabilitation of River Protection Structure along Bulusan in Calumpit, Bulacan implemented by the DPWH First District Engineering Office and St. Timothy Construction Corp. was in the 2022 NEP and the 2022 General Appropriations Act (GAA). 

The President had earlier demanded an explanation from the contractor, stating, “Kailangan pasagutin natin kung bakit ganito ang ginawa nila (We must demand answers as to why they did it like this).” 

On the other hand, the P77.19-million Construction of Flood Mitigation Structures along Barangay Frances also in Calumpit, Bulacan implemented by the DPWH First District Engineering Office and Wawao Builders was in the 2023 NEP and the 2023 GAA, he added. 

“According to a description by government media, the project has already shown signs of concrete deterioration, with exposed loose cables and wires,” Ridon said.

The St. Timothy project was in the Duterte administration-proposed 2022 NEP and 2022 GAA, but it was completed during the Marcos administration on February 2, 2023, the lawmaker added. 

Given these, Ridon said he thinks it would be unfair for Congress to be blamed for the alleged anomalous and ghost flood control projects. 

The House Tri-Comm, also known as the “House Infra Comm,” composed of the Committees on Public Accounts, Good Government and Public Accountability, and Public Works and Highways, is set to begin the hearing Sept. 2 on the issue.

Ridon earlier said the probe is the proper venue to air and validate corruption claims as well as  allow allegations of systemic kickbacks in flood-control funds to be scrutinized in public, with all parties given the chance to clear their names or be held accountable. 

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img