Marcos names Nartatez as OIC; new post eyed for Torre
PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has relieved Gen. Nicolas Torre III as chief of the Philippine National Police after serving for just 85 days, the Palace announced yesterday.
Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. assumed command in a surprise turnover ceremony presided over by Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
“The President has made the difficult but necessary decision to relieve PNP Chief Gen. Nicolas Torre III of his duties. The President believes that his national security apparatus must always work within the framework of the law,” Remulla said.
In a memorandum dated August 25, 2025, Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin directed Torre to ensure the proper turnover of all matters, documents, and information relative to his office to maintain the efficient delivery of public service.
Remulla admitted that the reshuffle at the PNP, which was overturned by the National Police Commission, was part of the reason for his relief “among other things” but he declined to elaborate on the “other” reasons.
Torre earlier reassigned Nartatez from Deputy Chief for Administration – the number 2 position — to Western Mindanao police commander.
“With the recent developments, the President was presented with the facts and he determined that the best course of action is to uphold the role of Napolcom as it was intended by law. As part of this resolution, the President decided to relieve Gen. Torre,” Remulla said.
He, however, clarified the relief was not a sanction over the administrative stalemate with Napolcom.
“There is no sanction. The Napolcom has not taken any sanctions as a body, nor has it been discussed, nor has it been filed. This is a personal decision of the President,” Remulla said.
Remulla said Torre, a four-star general, has the option to retire early to avoid a possible scenario of Nartatez serving as PNP chief with a three-star rank.
He also disclosed Torre, whose mandatory retirement is on March 11, 2027, was also being considered for another government post.
“I was privy to a conversation that the President is considering him for another post in government. We will know soon if General Torre will accept,” the Interior chief said.
“He is being considered for another position because the President believes in his capacity, in his organizational strength, in his vast experience in the service so the President believes that he can be of use in other positions critical to the nation’s development.”
Asked what would happen if Torre refuses to retire and give up his four-star rank, Remulla said: “That will be taken up by Napolcom.”
Nartatez, for his part, said he “does not find any conflict” amid the shakeup.
“The Philippine National Police is a dynamic organization. We are covered by orders and covered by policies… We just follow orders,” he said.
Asked where he would assign Torre if the latter stays with the PNP, Nartatez said: “He’d be at the Office of the Chief PNP or the PHAU (Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit).”
“Nobody can force a PNP officer to retire. That’s his right,” the new PNP chief added.
For his part, Senator Ping Lacson, a former PNP chief, criticized Torre for “acting beyond his authority” when he unilaterally transferred Nartatez.
“What is important at this point is a smooth transition and transfer of command and authority so as not to hamper the overall mission of the PNP to continue maintaining peace and order for the benefit of the people whom they have sworn to serve and protect,” Lacson said.
Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada said Torres’ relief was a presidential prerogative made in the “best interest” of the public.
Senator Imee Marcos, for her part, described Nartatez as “competent and honest in his work.”
Nartatez previously served as Ilocos Norte provincial police director when Senator Marcos was the governor.
At the House of Representatives, the Makabayan Bloc said the replacement of Torre revealed a “widening crack” in the Marcos administration.
“We consider the sudden removal of PNP Chief Nicolas Torre III after merely 85 days in position as unmistakable evidence of escalating internal conflicts and systemic breakdown within the Marcos administration,” said House Deputy Minority Leader and ACT Teachers Party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio.
“The ongoing movements within the PNP confirms the deepening conflict with the Marcos administration. Different groups are vying for power amid rampant government corruption, poor social services, and worsening public poverty,” he added.
Reps. Leila de Lima of Mamamayang Liberal Party-list added in a Facebook post: “What’s happening?! They better have a good reason in doing that to a very popular, much appreciated and high-performing PNP Chief.”







