Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Marcos no action yet on NBI chief’s resignation—Palace

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has yet to respond to the irrevocable resignation of National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Jaime Santiago, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Asked about the President’s reaction, Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro told reporters the resignation was “for acceptance,” but did not confirm whether the president had directly addressed the matter.

“It has not been conveyed to us if they have spoken. But the irrevocable resignation of the NBI Director is for acceptance,” Castro said.

- Advertisement -

Santiago’s departure would disrupt high-profile probes, particularly the long-running investigation into the disappearance of cockfight enthusiasts, or sabungeros. 

Castro maintained that the bureau remains functional despite the leadership shakeup.

“There are still many credible, dependable, and trustworthy people in the bureau who continue to work on these cases,” she said.

Castro said there are still no details on a possible successor or a shortlist of candidates.

Santiago, a former judge and police officer, was appointed NBI director in August 2023. His resignation places the agency’s leadership in limbo at a time when public scrutiny over its handling of sensitive cases remains high.

Last week, Santiago submitted his resignation letter, citing the ongoing “smear campaign” being lodged against him. He warned Malacañang over his detractors who have “sinister interests” on his spot as the NBI chief.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img