Whistleblower Julie ‘Dondon’ Patidongan and his brothers filed administrative complaints Thursday against former Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) director Brigadier Gen. Romeo Macapaz over alleged misconduct in connection with the “missing sabungeros” case.
Elakim and Jose Patidongan submitted their affidavits at the National Police Commission (Napolcom) headquarters in Quezon City, accusing Macapaz, lawyer Jairus Vincent Concina, and Lt. Col. Rossel Encarnacion of misconduct, dishonesty, and conduct unbecoming of a police officer.
“There is no need for a motu proprio on the complainant; there is a live complaint filed by two complainants,” Napolcom Vice Chairperson and Executive Officer Rafael Vicente Calinisan told reporters.
Calinisan noted that the Inspection Monitoring and Investigation Service will review the complaint and decide if it will proceed to a formal charge. “I have yet to read the complaint,” he added.
Julie said the complaint stemmed from Macapaz’s alleged ill-treatment of his brothers when they were picked up from Cambodia in July.
According to Elakim, the respondents took their mobile devices, which contained important evidence related to the ‘missing sabungeros’ case. “When they returned it, there was no SIM card and no memory card.”
He also claimed Macapaz had them arrested upon arrival at Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
Julie further accused the former CIDG chief of pressuring families of missing cockfighters to turn the tables against them instead of the alleged mastermind of the crimes—gaming tycoon Charlie ‘Atong’ Ang.
“I want General Macapaz removed and dismissed… Everyone knows Atong Ang’s money is working,” Julie said.
Justice Undersecretary Ely Cruz said the Department of Justice (DOJ) supports the whistleblowers, stressing they are vital to the case.
Jose and Elakim were previously arrested in a CIDG operation led by Macapaz in late July. Elakim was accused of using a missing victim’s ATM card, while Jose was seen in a video escorting another victim in handcuffs.
Meanwhile, Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Gen. Nicolas Torre III criticized lawyer Bernard Vitriolo, counsel for one of the accused policemen, for allegedly trying to “muddle” the investigation by questioning why CIDG did not accept affidavits in favor of the implicated officers.
CIDG director Brig. Gen. Christopher Abrahano clarified that the affidavits from 12 alleged former employees of Julie Patidongan were not prepared in the presence of investigators and could still be submitted directly to the DOJ for consideration.







