Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Supreme Court debunks claims Remulla out of Ombudsman race

The Supreme Court (SC) denied reports claiming that Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla has been disqualified by the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) among the nominees for the Office of the Ombudsman.

In a message to reporters late Friday, August 8, SC spokesperson Camille Sue Mae Ting said the JBC has not yet started its vetting process for the top Ombudsman post.

- Advertisement -

Ting issued the statement after an online news website marketed to legal professionals published a report, saying Remulla and another high-profile applicant have been removed among the list of possible contenders.

“The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has not yet commenced the vetting process, as the official list of applicants under consideration has yet to be published,” said Ting.

Remulla is among the 17 applicants for the post after the retirement of Ombudsman Samuel Martires last month.

At present, Special Prosecutor and former Court of Appeals Presiding Justice Mariflor Punzalan-Castillo serves as the Acting Ombudsman following her appointment by President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. on July 28, 2025.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img