Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

‘Mahiya naman kayo:’ Marcos cracks down on corruption in flood control projects

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Monday ordered a nationwide probe into flood control projects that failed to protect communities during the recent onslaught of storms, as he condemned corrupt practices that undermine disaster resilience efforts.

In his fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA), Marcos said the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) must submit a complete list of all flood control projects started or completed in the past three years.

- Advertisement -

The regional project monitoring committees will then review the list to determine which projects failed, were left unfinished, or existed only on paper.

“We will publish this list,” Marcos said. “The public, especially those who have witnessed these projects firsthand, will be encouraged to review the list and report what they know. This will help us in our investigation.”

The President was visibly frustrated, recalling his inspection of areas devastated by the southwest monsoon and tropical cyclones ‘Crising,’ ‘Dante,’ and ‘Emong’ these past two weeks, which sent many families to crowded evacuation facilities.

“It was clear that many flood control projects were substandard, collapsed, or worse, never really existed,” he said. “Let’s stop pretending. The public knows there are rackets behind these projects,” Marcos noted, referring to allegations of corruption.

“To those conspiring to steal public funds and rob the future of our people—shame on you,” Marcos declared, drawing applause from lawmakers, government officials and guests present at the Batasang Pambansa.

“Shame on you, especially to those who allowed families to be swept away or submerged by floods. And shame on you for leaving our children to inherit debt while you pocketed the money.”

Marcos emphasized that all individuals found liable—government officials and contractors alike—will face charges in the coming months.

“This must not happen again. The people deserve to know the full truth. There must be accountability for the damage and corruption,” he said.

He also reminded Filipinos of the need for constant preparedness in the face of climate change and extreme weather events, noting that four typhoons had already hit the country in July, with around a dozen more expected before year-end.

Of the Philippines’ 24 active volcanoes, four are also currently showing signs of unrest, especially Mount Kanlaon in Negros.

“We must not let our guard down. Preparedness should become second nature,” Marcos said, citing the use of modern forecasting tools, such as doppler radars, broadband seismic stations, and landslide sensor systems deployed by PAGASA and PHIVOLCS.

President Marcos also urged the public to actively participate in disaster drills, obey evacuation warnings, and practice discipline, especially in proper waste disposal.

“Above all, let us help each other through bayanihan—especially those who have been affected. It may be difficult, but we must make sacrifices to save lives,” he said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img