Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Taal Lake yields more bodies; De Lima sees EJK connection

The Department of Justice (DOJ) yesterday confirmed the discovery of more human remains in Taal Lake during the search and retrieval operations conducted by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG).

In a press briefing, Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla announced the recovery of 4 bags in the lake, 2 of which contained human remains, while 2 bags contained sand that was said to have been used as a weight to sink the two other bags to the bottom of the lake.

- Advertisement -

“Human remains were found in Taal Lake in the area pointed out to us by our sources, which were also identified by Alyas ‘Totoy’. We have found human remains again this time in the specific quadrant pointed out to us as a site where people are being disposed of,” he said.

Remulla underscored that actual human ribs were found in the latest search, confirming that what was recovered were remains of deceased people.

This followed Wednesday’s exhumation of three unidentified remains in a public cemetery in Laurel, Batangas, which were previously found floating in the lake and later buried after no one came forward to claim them.

While it appears that one of the bodies found may be a woman because of the underwear found, he underscored that they are looking into the possibility that this could be a woman abducted in Lipa City in the past.

The DOJ chief is hopeful to find viable organic samples to proceed with the tracking of the identity of exhumed remains as they begin to prepare the DNA bank that will be helpful in the investigation.

However, Remulla noted that the ongoing search and retrieval operations in the lake may be temporarily suspended following the phreatic eruption of Taal volcano to ensure the safety of the personnel from the PCG.

“If it is not healthy, if it becomes an obstacle to human health, then we will stop. The [Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology] Phivolcs will advise us if it is safe or not,” he said.

The DOJ is the only authorized agency that can provide official information regarding the ongoing search in the lake to promote better coordination with the public.

Meanwhile, the local government of Laurel, Batangas, said it was studying whether to declare a state of calamity due to the drop in fish sales amid reports of cadavers being dumped in Taal Lake.

Bienvinido Mayuga, the town’s municipal administrator, said this is the first step to securing the release of calamity funds that will be used to aid affected fisherfolk.

He said the municipal government has already distributed relief goods to 500 families affected by the plummeting sales, and more aid is scheduled to be handed out in the coming days.

“We are discussing with the Department of Social Welfare and Development and Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office how to go about providing quick assistance to those affected by the ongoing investigation [in Taal Lake],” he said in Filipino.

As this developed, Malayang Liberal Rep. Leila de Lima said she was not surprised by Remulla’s statement that some of the remains found in Taal Lake could be drug war victims.

“This is no longer surprising. The modus operandi of the Davao Death Squad (DDS) killers used to include dumping the corpses of their victims in Samal Island waters. Others are buried at Laud Quarry, which still has chinop-chop bodies. Abominable! Monsters,” she said in Filipino. With Maricel V. Cruz

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img