Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Marcos US visit upon invitation of Trump—DFA

US President Donald Trump personally invited President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. to discuss bilateral matters at the White House in Washington, D.C., the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) disclosed yesterday.

According to DFA Secretary Theresa Lazaro, Marcos is the first Southeast Asian leader to be invited by Trump since the latter won a fresh term from American voters. Details on the specific topics they will discuss have yet to be formally announced.

- Advertisement -

Both Malacañang and the DFA confirmed last week that Marcos will embark on a three-day working visit to the United States on July 20 to 22, 2025 to meet with Trump after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio made the announcement.

Lazaro also mentioned that Marcos will be staying at the Presidential Guest House within the White House complex during the trip.

“The issue of tariffs will be discussed among others … It’s also very important to us. We have already sent negotiators to discuss this issue,” Lazaro said, according to Reuters, which interviewed her on Friday.

Rubio and Lazaro held a trilateral meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Takeshi Iwaya during the recently concluded Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) foreign ministers’ meeting and related summits held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

“We have a great relationship with Japan and the Philippines, and work very closely with them on the economic corridor, on maritime security, and territorial integrity—and continue to build upon that partnership, and look forward to hosting the president of the Philippines in Washington in a few days,” Rubio told reporters in Malaysia.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline “Marcos-Trump meet pushes through by US invitation—DFA”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img