President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Monday acknowledged the hardships being experienced by commuters and cargo operators due to ongoing retrofitting works on the San Juanico Bridge, a key infrastructure connecting the islands of Samar and Leyte, but assured the public that relief is on the way.
“I know that you feel the inconvenience here in Leyte because of the condition of the San Juanico Bridge. The queue is long, the trip is slow, many are inconvenienced,” President Marcos said in his address at the grand launch of the National Fiber Backbone Phases 2 and 3 in Palo, Leyte.
He noted that some truck drivers were previously forced to wait up to four days with no designated facilities for food, shelter, or hygiene.
The President reported that significant progress has been made in easing the congestion.
According to the Philippine Coast Guard, the waiting time for trucks carrying perishable goods has dropped to just one to two hours, while those transporting non-perishable items now wait around two to four hours, down from previous days-long delays.
Essential goods, particularly those prone to spoilage, are being prioritized at checkpoints to ensure faster delivery.
“That’s why we are really reducing it,” Mr. Marcos said, adding that the bridge closure has affected supply routes as far as Mindanao.
He directed the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to accelerate the retrofitting efforts.
The agency targets to restore load capacity to 12 metric tons by the end of 2025, which would allow buses, vans, and other lighter vehicles to cross.
A budget of over P500 million has been allocated to raise the bridge’s load limit to between 12 to 15 metric tons by December.
However, the long-term goal is to fully restore the San Juanico Bridge’s original capacity of 33 metric tons to accommodate heavy trucks and commercial haulers.
President Marcos said he has instructed both the DPWH and the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to urgently secure additional funding and resources.
The San Juanico Bridge, which spans over 2 kilometers, is a critical link in the Eastern Visayas region’s economy and mobility. Its temporary closure for retrofitting has underscored the urgent need for resilient and modernized infrastructure.
“Let’s act and continue to act to make our San Juanico Bridge safe and strong again,” the president said, vowing continued government action until full functionality is restored.







