Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Palace to study DILG proposal on centralized class suspensions

Malacañang said on Thursday it is open to reviewing a proposal from Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla to centralize the suspension of classes during storms under the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Remulla said he plans to formally ask President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. for the authority, citing the need for more streamlined coordination during extreme weather events. Currently, local government units (LGUs) decide to cancel classes based on localized conditions.

- Advertisement -

“So far, there is no official response yet from the President regarding Secretary Remulla’s suggestion,” said Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro during a press briefing. 

“But if it is seen to benefit the greater number, it will be studied further,” she added.

The call for centralized class suspension authority comes amid persistent concerns from parents about late announcements, with some children already en route or in school before cancellations are issued.

Asked whether improvements are needed in the current policy, Castro acknowledged challenges, including delays in weather updates reaching local leaders. 

“If we can expedite decisions before students leave home, it would prevent children and parents from getting caught in floods or traffic,” she said.

As the country officially enters the rainy season, concerns about government preparedness are also mounting.

Castro said President Marcos has already directed relevant agencies to ramp up flood prevention and disaster response efforts, especially in urban areas like Metro Manila.

Among the initiatives, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has identified 23 priority waterways or “esteros” for immediate cleanup using modern equipment. 

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) are also involved, mobilizing TUPAD beneficiaries to assist in declogging efforts.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has been instructed to ensure that local disaster offices are fully prepared to act as first responders. 

The DILG, for its part, is reinforcing emergency protocols, including activation of local operation centers, evacuation plans, community drills, and enforcement of no-build zones in high-risk areas.

The Palace also issued a message to the public, especially those in flood-prone regions, urging cooperation and civic responsibility.

“The government will act, but we ask citizens to also do their part,” Castro said. 

“Please do not litter or dump trash in flood-prone areas. Sometimes, we are the reason why our neighborhoods flood so quickly,” she added.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img