Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. is pushing for the proposed Multi-Role Fighters (MRF) program to move forward as a complete package, including Airborne Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) and aerial tankers for mid-air refueling operations.
Having these platforms will ensure that the MRF program, once acquisition is completed, is “operational as a force package”, he explained at a media briefing at the Makati Shangri-La Hotel Monday afternoon.
“It is not only the purchase of the MRF per se which we need to deal with but also to make the MRFs operational as a force package, meaning to say we need the AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) capability. A lot of countries have experienced the fact that they are realizing that they need AWACS, notwithstanding the fact that their satellite capability is not enough,” Teodoro said.
Aside from AWACS, the chief of the Department of National Defense (DND) emphasized that the Philippines also needs tanker aircraft to support the proposed MRFs, as this capability would extend the operational range of the jets.
He added that while acquiring MRFs may be relatively straightforward, it is crucial to procure them alongside sufficient stores, reserves, and munitions to ensure sustained and effective operations.
Teodoro, however, admitted that having these will “add considerably to the cost of the package and must be all taken into account.”
“And we are in constant coordination with the DOF (Department of Finance) and the DBM (Department of Budget Management) regarding the continuity of funding available. It is easy to buy and like the first tranche. However, what we do not want is to buy, you know have orders, have deliveries and not being able to use them for their optimal use and just have them flying air shows. that we will not countenance,” Teodoro said.
The Philippine Air Force (PAF) announced last week that it is open to acquiring Japanese-made multi-role fighter aircraft as part of its ongoing efforts to upgrade and modernize the country’s defense capabilities.
“Ok, the FA-50 jets are in the pipeline already, you know that is already approved. It is for delivery and there are 12 units in addition. Mitsubishi fighters (referring to the F-2), the Japanese made multi-role (fighters) are very potential platforms also,” Air Force chief Lt. Gen. Arthur Cordura said in a media briefing at Villamor Air Base, Pasay City.







