The National Police Commission (Napolcom) on Friday ordered its Inspection, Monitoring and Investigation Service (IMIS) to conduct a motu proprio investigation into the alleged involvement of several police officers in the disappearance of more than 100 “sabungeros” (cockfighting enthusiasts).
Napolcom vice chair and executive officer Rafael Vicente Calinisan said the agency would not hesitate to remove from service any police personnel found to have colluded with the group allegedly responsible for killing the victims and dumping their bodies in Taal Lake in Batangas.
Calinisan also called on “Alyas Totoy” – a suspect who has been disclosing details of the case in media interviews, to file a formal complaint with Napolcom to expedite the resolution of the case, in coordination with the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Philippine National Police–Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG).
“I am appealing to ‘Alyas Totoy’ to appear and submit his complaint affidavit with Napolcom so we can investigate and hear this case with absolute dispatch. There needs to be swift justice, and we will not hesitate to dispense swift justice,” Calinisan said.
“To clarify, the case to be filed with the Napolcom, if any, would be an administrative one, to determine the fitness of the policemen involved to remain in police service. In the event that they are deemed liable, the Napolcom may impose suspension, demotion, or even dismissal from the service against erring cops.”
Earlier this week, “Totoy” tagged certain police officers, a security guard from a cockfighting arena in Manila, and a showbiz personality as connected to the mastermind behind the crime.
On Thursday, Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla warned the mastermind in the case of the missing “sabungeros” is not only powerful but also has enough money to influence even the courts.
Remulla said he will seek a meeting with Supreme Court Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo to discuss his apprehensions that the judiciary might be compromised.
“The mastermind said, in his own words, that he can influence even the Supreme Court,” Remulla said.
Remulla earlier said the killers of more than 100 missing “sabungeros” were paid P500,000 for each kill.
PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Jean Fajardo said the identities and unit assignments of the 20 suspected police officers involved in the killings are being withheld to prevent potential escape attempts or efforts to go off the grid.
“Regardless of who is involved here—whether that may be a civilian, a high-profile person, or even one of our comrades—we will not spare anyone,” Fajardo said.
Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline “Napolcom probes cops linked to the case of ‘missing sabungeros’.”







