Former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque on Friday said on behalf of former president Rodrigo Duterte’s legal team at the International Criminal Court (ICC) that they are looking into postponing the latter’s first hearing.
“We have our reasons but we will try to have this first hearing postponed. However, our reason will be privately forwarded to the magistrates,” Roque said in Filipino during a live video on social media.
He added that former executive secretary Salvador Medialdea is the only lawyer so far recognized as part of Duterte’s ICC legal counsel.
“We have filled up all the documents so I can also be included in the team of counsels,” said Roque, who is one of the only five Filipino lawyers accredited by the ICC.
Roque also said that another British lawyer is joining their legal team. He said that he is not sure if their request will be granted, adding that they have yet to personally see Duterte since the latter is undergoing medical examinations.
The ICC has scheduled Duterte’s first official court appearance for the pre-trial at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, March 14, in the Netherlands or 9:00 p.m. in Manila.
Also present at The Hague to support Duterte were Vice President Sara Duterte and Senator Robin Padilla.







