Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

SC asks Senate bet to explain withdrawal

THE Supreme Court (SC) ordered Francis Leo Antonio Marcos to explain why he should not be cited in contempt following his withdrawal from the 2025 senatorial race.

Last January 21, 2025, the SC allowed Marcos to run after it issued a temporary restraining order against the Commission on Elections which declared him as a nuisance candidate in December last year.

- Advertisement -

However, Marcos withdrew his candidacy last month.

“The SC ordered Marcos to show cause within 72 hours from notice why he should not be cited in contempt for his actions which tend to bring the SC’s processes into disrepute or disrespect,” said Supreme Court spokesperson Camille Ting.

The Comelec released earlier a list of senatorial aspirants in the May 2025 elections declared as nuisance candidates.

Comelec documents showed a total of 117 aspirants was declared nuisance, among them.

Francis Leo Antonio Marcos, and Daniel Ronquillo Magtira.

Comelec chairman George Erwin Garcia said the list is just on the division level of the commission and anybody in the roster can still file motion for reconsideration.

Garcia said those in the list have five days from the time they received a copy of the resolution to file their appeal.

Comelec spokesperson John Rex Laudiangco clarified that if the SC) will not issue a TRO following the filing of the motion for reconsideration, the decision of the Commission will be made immediately executory.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img