spot_img
29 C
Philippines
Thursday, July 25, 2024

Davao de Oro tragedy kills 90 as authorities retrieve more bodies

- Advertisement -

Death toll in the Maco, Davao de Oro landslide already reached 90 as authorities recovered more bodies, including body parts, amid continuing search and retrieval operations.

In an updated report released Thursday, Feb. 15, the municipal government of Maco noted that 37 people are still unaccounted for. At least 32 survived the tragedy, including two children, who were rescued nearly three days after the accident.

According to Lea Añora, head of the Management of Dead and Missing (MDM) unit, they have so far conducted 48 antemortem data collection, processed 73 postmortem examinations, and released 39 death certificates.

“We would like to request lahat all family members of those who are still unidentified to please follow the advisories of our local government units on the processes to identify the retrieved bodies,” she said in a press conference held this morning.

Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) incident commander Ariel Capoy noted they have 10 teams deployed to ground zero. An interfaith prayer was also conducted at the site of the tragedy.

The landslide occurred near a mining village last Feb. 6 following days of heavy rains in the Davao region. It affected at least four neighborhoods, burying some houses, a barangay hall, and the terminal of a bus company.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wednesday said it deployed its search and rescue personnel and assets for humanitarian assistance and disaster response operations in Davao and Caraga regions.

The Air Force sent its 505th Search and Rescue Group, 205th Tactical Helicopter Wing, and the 220th Airlift Wing—with six helicopters, one C-130, and one C-295 aircraft. The Navy also deployed BRP Davao Del Sur (LD 602) and the Marine Battalion Landing Team 9.

The Army, for its part, sent its 10th Infantry Division; 701st, 402nd, and 1001st Infantry Brigades; the 66th, 67th, 25th and 60th Infantry Battalions, and the 534th and 525th Engineer Construction Battalions.

“It is without doubt that our troops are ready to go beyond the call of duty to deliver aid wherever and whenever it is needed. I am proud of every soldier, airman, sailor, and marine for their commitment and sacrifice in these trying times,” AFP chief General Romeo Brawner Jr. said.

Two United States Marine Corps (USMC) KC-130J Hercules aircraft on Monday were used to help in the delivery of supplies to the landslide victims.

LATEST NEWS

Popular Articles