spot_img
27.2 C
Philippines
Wednesday, February 21, 2024

PNP: Criminality decreased by 6.19% in January-August this year

- Advertisement -

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Sunday reported that criminality in the country decreased by 6.19 percent during the first eight months of the year.

Meanwhile, PNP chief Gen. Benjamin Acorda Jr. gave assurance that justice will be served to the family of a 15-year-old boy in Rodriguez, Rizal who was allegedly shot dead by a policeman last week.

The PNP’s Crime Research Analysis Center of the Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management said the data covered the period Jan. 1 to Aug. 23, 2023.

Carnapping registered the highest reduction at 31.98 percent, followed by physical injury at 15.87 percent, and rape at 14.66 percent.

The PNP report also showed a 5.03-percent reduction; robbery, 6.36 percent; murder, 2.07 percent; motorcycle theft, 3.84 percent; and homicide, 0.73 percent.

- Advertisement -

“We extend our heartfelt gratitude, especially to the concerted endeavors of our officers, the support of our partners, and the trust of our fellow citizens which contributed to this positive outcome. Let us sustain this momentum and continue working hand in hand to build a nation free from the threat of crime,” PNP chief Gen. Benjamin Acorda, Jr. said in a news release.

“These accomplishments also demonstrate the effectiveness of collaborative community efforts and the commitment of law enforcement to ensure the safety and security of every citizen,” he added.

In a statement, Acorda said Cpl. Arnulfo Sabillo and his alleged accomplice, Jeffrey Baguio, who were tagged as prime suspects in the killing of John Frances Ompad,15, last Aug. 20 are now in police custody.

The suspects also injured Ompad’s 19-year-old brother, John Ace.

“We are committed to ensuring that the bereaved family finds justice for their deceased loved one. Such actions are deeply regrettable and do not represent the values of the Philippine National Police. We will ensure a thorough and impartial investigation and appropriate action will be taken against those found responsible,” Acorda said.

Sabillo, 37, and Baguio, 27, have been charged with homicide and attempted homicide following their arrest a day after the shooting.

All agents of the Community Police Assistance Center 5, where Sabillo was assigned, have also been relieved from their posts pending completion of impartial investigation.

John Ace was reportedly on his way home aboard a motorcycle when he was stopped by Sabillo, who was in civilian clothes, and Baguio.

Scared that the suspects were criminals, John Ace refused to stop, threw his helmet at the suspects and tried to flee the scene.

One of the suspects alleged fired at John Ace, but also hit John Frances in the abdomen as he comes out of their house.

John Frances died while undergoing treatment at East Avenue Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City.

 

- Advertisement -

LATEST NEWS

Popular Articles