Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Is the MMFF losing its heart to high prices?

For decades, the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) has been known as the “people’s festival,” a yearly celebration where Filipino families could come together to enjoy local films. Yet in recent years, questions have emerged: How do we truly measure the success of the MMFF? And if ticket prices continue to rise while overall box-office earnings falter, can the festival still claim to succeed?

Traditionally, success has been defined by revenue and star power. The 2025 edition, MMFF51, fell short of last year’s total earnings by roughly P100 million, even as several films reached impressive milestones. Seven of the eight entries grossed eight-digit receipts, according to MMFF spokesperson Noel Ferrer. 

- Advertisement -
Winners pose during the MMFF51
awards ceremony, closing a festival edition marked by strong individual grosses but weaker cumulative earnings

Leading the pack is Call Me Mother, starring Vice Ganda, Nadine Lustre, and Lucas Andalio, which reportedly earned P300 million (figure based on Vice Ganda’s social media post). Other entries, including Shake, Rattle & Roll: Evil Origins, Bar Boys: After School, and Unmarry, also drew sizable audiences.

Despite these figures, critics argue the festival may be alienating its core audience. Filmmaker Jun Robles Lana noted that a family of four now needs at least P1,500 just for tickets, excluding transport or snacks. Lana warns that by pricing out ordinary Filipinos, the MMFF risks turning a shared cultural experience into a middle-class privilege.

The issue is not only about revenue. Audience turnout, positive word of mouth, and cultural impact are equally important. 

Chairman Romando Artes of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), the agency organizing the festival, said post-New Year grosses have already surpassed those of the previous year, prompting an extension of screenings and continued validity of MMFF Season Passes until Jan. 17.

Stars gather at Metro Manila Film Festival’s red carpet event, celebrating Filipino cinema
Cast members of ‘Call Me Mother’ at the annual MMFF parade, an outreach activity meant to bring the festival closer to ordinary moviegoers

To sustain public engagement, a free concert is scheduled for Jan. 10 in the Middle East, featuring stars from MMFF films including Love You So Bad, Shake, Rattle & Roll: Evil Origins, Unmarry, Bar Boys: After School, and I’mPerfect. The event will also showcase performers and Pinoy pride artists such as Sofronio Vasquez, John Arcilla, Morissette, and Bamboo.

Addressing the challenges, the MMFF could consider reviewing ticket prices to make cinema more accessible. Offering discounted family packages, promo bundles, or loyalty passes could encourage attendance without compromising overall revenue. Expanding outreach beyond Metro Manila through touring screenings or partnerships with local cinemas could also bring films to a broader audience. Most importantly, measuring the festival’s success should include cultural impact, community connection, and industry influence—not just box-office totals.

The MMFF remains the country’s largest showcase of Filipino cinema, but its future depends on keeping the “people” in the festival. Record-breaking grosses may look impressive on paper, but if ordinary audiences are priced out, the festival risks losing its heart—the very families that once made it a cherished national tradition.

Artes confirmed that the MMDA is considering reviewing ticket prices to boost attendance. “The festival is exploring incentives, such as volume sales or promo bundle schemes, to make cinema more accessible to a broader audience,” he said. “The MMFF is committed to enhancing the movie-watching experience, as evidenced by its ongoing dialogue with the Cinema Exhibitors Association of the Philippines (CEAP).”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img