The Southern Police District on Monday said the alleged driver from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), who was arrested by members of the Police Security and Protection Group at the Senate building on May 13, tested positive for gunpowder nitrates.
SPD Public Information Office chief Lt. Margaret Panaga said during a media interview at the Philippine National Police Press Corps that the driver’s paraffin test conducted by the Scene of the Crime Operatives yielded positive results.
“Yes, based on the SOCO results, it tested positive for gunpowder nitrates. That paraffin test checks for the presence of nitrate particles that are commonly associated with gunpowder,” Panaga said.
Despite the positive test result, the police official said authorities are still investigating the involvement of the arrested NBI “volunteer” in the shooting incident.
“That’s what we’re still determining through the investigation that will be conducted today,” Panaga said.
“At this time, we cannot provide conclusive details because the investigation is still ongoing,” she added.
The SPD spokesperson also said the suspect has already undergone inquest proceedings and is facing criminal charges for violations of Republic Act 10591, or the Illegal Possession of Firearms and Ammunition Act, alarm and scandal, tumults and disturbance of public order, resistance and disobedience to a person in authority or his agent, and other offenses.
“This driver underwent inquest proceedings last week. Charges filed against him include violations of RA 10591, alarm and scandal, tumults and disturbance of public order, resistance and disobedience to a person in authority or his agent, disturbance of proceedings, trespassing, violation of Senate security, and direct assault,” Panaga said.
Editor’s Note: This story has been updated. Originally posted with the headline “NBI man in Senate shooting tests positive for gunpowder.”







