PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has ordered the creation of a crisis management com-mittee to address potential supply disruptions and rising fuel prices, Malacañang said Monday, even as officials maintained the country is not facing an oil supply crisis.
The Philippine National Police, however,, reported that the number of gas stations who have closed amid rising fuel prices has increased to 403.
“Mula po siya sa 273 noong Miyerkules at umabot na nga po siya sa 403,” PNP spokesperson Police Brigadier General Randulf Tuaño said at a press briefing. The PNP has monitored a total of 14,313 gas stations across the country, he added.
As this developed, the Department of Energy (DOE) announced that fuel prices will increase today (Tuesday), but at levels lower than earlier projections.
Diesel prices will rise by P11.88 per liter, gasoline by P6.47 per liter, and kerosene by P13.66 per liter, the DOE said in a statement.
This would bring pump price ranges to between P103.23 and P126.78 per liter for diesel, P82.77 to P98.07 for gasoline, and P105.56 to P157.45 for kerosene, the department added.
Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro said Mr. Marcos’ directive was issued ahead of public calls for such a body, amid concerns over whether existing measures like fuel subsidies will be sufficient if global oil prices remain elevated.
“Bago pa po may nag-suggest na gumawa ng crisis committee, nag-utos na po ang Pangulo na gumawa officially ng crisis committee, so hintayin na lang po natin ang dokumento, pina-finalize na po,” Castro said.
(Before anyone suggested creating a crisis committee, the President had already ordered that a crisis committee be officially formed, so we’ll just wait for the document—it’s already being finalized.)
Castro declined to disclose details on the committee’s composition and authority.
The planned body is expected to focus on ensuring stable supply chains and addressing the needs of consumers as volatility persists in global oil markets.
“Kapag sinabi po nating crisis committee, ito po ay tututok lalung-lalo na kung ano ba ang pangangailangan ng ating mga kababayan, paano hindi mapuputol ang suplay ng ating mga pangangailangan sa oil, sa fuel at sa mga pangunahing pangangailangan,” she said.
(When we say crisis committee, this will focus especially on identifying what our people need, how to ensure that the supply of oil, fuel, and other basic necessities will not be disrupted.)
No supply crisis, but ‘price
disruption’
Malacañang clarified that while fuel prices are rising, the Philippines is not experiencing an oil supply crisis.
“Kapag sinabi po natin na oil crisis… sa ngayon ay hindi pa kinukonsidera na mayroon tayong oil crisis dahil kumpleto po tayo at enough po ang supply ng langis,” Castro said, citing guidance from the Department of Energy (DOE).
(When we say oil crisis… as of now, it is not yet being considered that we have an oil crisis because our oil supply is complete and sufficient.)
She explained that the President’s earlier reference to an “oil crisis” pertained to developments in the Middle East, not domestic conditions.
Authorities distinguish between a supply crisis and a price shock, Castro said, describing the current situation as a “price disruption.”
“Kung pag-uusapan po natin ang suplay ay wala po tayong sasabihing krisis… maybe mayroon pong price disruption dahil nga po sa nangyayaring oil crisis sa Middle East,” she said.
(If we’re talking about supply, we cannot say there is a crisis… maybe there is a price disruption because of the ongoing oil crisis in the Middle East.)
She rejected criticism that the government is downplaying the situation.
“Wala naman tayong dina-downplay – ito po kasi yung totoong sitwasyon (We’re not downplaying anything — this is simply the real situation),” Castro said.
Fuel price hikes lower
than expected
Over the weekend, industry estimates had placed potential increases significantly higher, with diesel projected at P16.50 to P17.50 per liter and gasoline at P7.50 to P8.50 per liter.
Energy Secretary Sharon Garin attributed the smaller adjustments to a relatively calmer global oil market.
The DOE has asked oil firms to stagger price increases, although some companies may no longer be able to absorb costs.
“We’re still waiting for the reports as of today on what their plan is because it’s not that easy to stagger—they lose money in a few days,” Garin said. “So we won’t force them, but the request is there.”
Despite this, Jetti Petroleum announced a one-time increase of P18 per liter for diesel and P8 per liter for gasoline effective Tuesday.
Garin said the country’s oil supply remains sufficient for up to five weeks, with deliveries of up to one million barrels expected this week.
“Our supply is still steady until the first week of May,” she said, noting shipments ranging from 200,000 to 500,000 barrels are being tracked.
Shipments steady, but risks loom
The Bureau of Customs (BOC) said oil shipments continue to arrive without cancellations, though this could change if tensions escalate.
Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said current volumes remain normal compared with earlier in the year.
“At sa ngayon wala pa nauulat na cancellation (And as of now, there are no reported cancellations yet),” he said.
However, he noted that many shipments were dispatched before the outbreak of conflict in the Middle East and warned of possible reductions in the coming weeks, given delivery lead times of 14 to 20 days.
Nepomuceno said the BOC has shifted to “crisis mode” and formed a task force to monitor daily petroleum imports and expedite processing.
“Prioritize natin ang pag-aasikaso… at bilisan ang pag-release nito,” he said.
Experts: Price problem, not supply
Energy experts said the Philippines is facing a pricing challenge rather than a supply shortage.
Raphael Capinpin, executive director of the Philippine Institute of Petroleum, said proposals to establish a strategic petroleum reserve would require massive investment, estimating that a 90-day supply could cost around P176 billion for crude alone.
“You would need about 73 storage tanks… then there is the land, and who will manage it?” he said.
Lawyer Jay Layug of the Philippine Energy Research & Policy Institute said demand management may be more practical, suggesting measures such as expanded remote work and online classes.
Former Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla said supply will likely remain available but at significantly higher prices.
“The supply will be there, but the price will be very high to the point people will rethink how they use it,” Petilla said.
He added that reduced vehicle use may already be occurring as consumers cut back on travel.
Alexander Escucha, president of the Institute for Economic Development and Econometric Analysis, noted declining traffic volume and shifts in consumer behavior amid rising fuel costs.
Senate pushes contingency plan
Senator Sherwin Gatchalian said the Senate’s ad hoc panel aims to complete a contingency framework within one to two weeks.
“We have no control over what is happening outside the country, but what matters is that we are prepared,” said Gatchalian, who heads the Proactive Response and Oversight for Timely and Effective Crisis Strategy (PROTECT) Committee.
The panel is conducting scenario-building exercises, including a worst-case scenario in which global oil prices could reach $200 per barrel.
The committee was created under Senate Resolution No. 350 to develop a coordinated national response and will submit its findings to the President.
Makabayan bloc slams gov’t stance
The Makabayan bloc in the House of Representatives criticized the administration’s position that there is no oil crisis, calling it inconsistent with the creation of a crisis committee.
In a statement, Reps. Antonio Tinio, Sara Elago, and Renee Co said rising fuel prices and transport costs are already burdening Filipinos.
“There is nothing to gain from wordplay about ‘adequate supply’ while a price crisis is crushing people’s livelihoods,” the group said.
They added that current measures are insufficient, warning of worsening conditions for commuters and calling for stronger government action, including a possible special session of Congress.
“Wala nang normal sa sitwasyon ngayon; araw-araw na pinapabigat ang buhay ng manggagawa, drayber, magsasaka, kabataan, at maralita,” the lawmakers said.
(There is nothing normal about the situation now; every day, life is being made heavier for workers, drivers, farmers, the youth, and the poor.)
Despite mounting pressures, Malacañang said it is coordinating with agencies to mitigate the impact of rising costs and ensure stable supply of fuel and basic goods, while urging the public to conserve resources as global uncertainty persists.







