Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

VP impeachment: House justice panel zeroes in on Duterte’s reply

The House Committee on Justice on Wednesday resumed impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte, focusing on her formal reply as lawmakers determine whether the case should move forward.

Committee chair Rep. Gerville Luistro of Batangas underscored that the panel’s role remains preliminary and is not a trial on the merits.

- Advertisement -

She also said that the hearing proper on the two impeachment complaints against Duterte will start on March 25.

“When the accusations are heavy, the answer must be heavier,” Luistro said in her opening remarks.

“We reiterate that we are not here to decide guilt or innocence. Hindi po ito paglilitis—hindi pa (This is not a trial—not yet),” she said, adding: “Ang hustisya ay hindi minamadali—pero hindi rin pinipigilan (Justice is never rushed — but it is never obstructed either).”

She framed the proceedings around a central question: “May sapat bang batayan para ituloy ang proseso?” (Are there sufficient grounds to proceed?)

Luistro noted that the complaints had already undergone extensive scrutiny. Of the four initial complaints, one was set aside due to a possible violation of the one-year bar rule, while another was withdrawn in favor of a consolidated case.

The panel is now deliberating on the third and fourth complaints—those filed by Saballa et al. and Cabrera—which were earlier found sufficient in form and substance.

“Every allegation was questioned. Every point was challenged. Every argument was tested,” Luistro said, citing “voluminous records—pages upon pages, with annexes, and supporting documents.”

“Hindi lang binasa—ito ay inaral (it wasn’t just read – it was studied),” she added.

The allegations include supposed threats against the President and other officials, unexplained wealth, violations of statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) rules, bribery, and misuse of confidential funds.

“Because the accusations are not trivial. They are serious. They are weighty. They demand an answer,” Luistro said. “Kung ganito kabigat ang mga paratang—hindi puwedeng manahimik (With allegations this serious, staying silent isn’t an option).”

Luistro said the Vice President was afforded due process, including the opportunity to respond to the complaints.

“She was given the opportunity to respond. Iyan po ang due process,” she said.

Duterte submitted a 15-page answer with five annexes, signed by 16 lawyers, which now forms the core of the panel’s review.

“Not the impeachment complaints—because those have already been reviewed, debated, and tested… Ang sagot ng Bise Presidente—iyan ang bago,” Luistro said.

She emphasized that the panel would not revisit settled matters but instead assess whether the Answer sufficiently addressed the allegations.

“Did the answer clear the air? Did it refute the allegations? Did it address the seriousness of the charges?” she asked.

Luistro said the committee would look for direct and clear responses.

“So, we focus. On the answer. On its clarity. On its sufficiency… Not evasion. Not generalities. Kundi malinaw at direktang pagsagot sa bawat alegasyon (But what’s needed is a clear and direct response to every allegation),” she said.

At the core of the deliberations, she added, is whether the Answer altered the panel’s earlier findings.

“Now that the answer is before us—do we still have sufficient grounds to proceed? Did it change anything? Did it weaken the case?” Luistro said.

“Because if there is—then we move forward. If there is none—then we do not.”

Luistro closed by urging lawmakers to remain guided by the law.

“Dahil sa huli—kung malinaw ang tanong, at malinaw ang batas—dapat malinaw din ang ating paninindigan (Because in the end—if the question is clear and the law is clear—our position should be just as clear),” she said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img