Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Flood probe continues despite ICI report — Palace

Malacañang on Sunday said the investigation into the alleged multibillion-peso flood control corruption scandal will continue even after the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) completed its work and submitted its report to the Office of the Ombudsman.

In a message to reporters, Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro said the conclusion of the ICI does not signal the end of the inquiry.

- Advertisement -

“The Ombudsman and the Department of Justice are still conducting preliminary investigations into the cases submitted or recommended to be filed,” she said.

“Furthermore, they have the power to conduct more investigations motu proprio,” she added.

This came after Mamamayang Liberal Party-list Rep. Leila de Lima criticized the fact-finding body for focusing only on flood control projects and said livestreaming its sessions was “useless.”

She also criticized the administration for allowing the panel to disband instead of advocating legislation to strengthen investigative powers.

Earlier, the ICI announced it was ending its operations after transferring all relevant documents, evidence, and findings related to the multibillion-peso flood control project scandal to the Office of the Ombudsman.

The ICI had been active for nearly six months.

However, due to the resignation of two commissioners, it functioned as a collegial body for only 90 days.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Flood control probe not over despite ICI conclusion—Palace”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img