Vice President Sara Duterte said a portion of the confidential funds allocated during her time as Department of Education secretary had been used to address various national security threats, stressing that the funds cover a broad range of concerns beyond counterterrorism.
In an interview, Duterte said confidential funds may be used for programs related to national security, including efforts addressing threats to education, children, and public safety.
“Confidential funds were used for many things. All of them were related to national security—threats to education, threats to children, criminality, insurgency, and violent extremism,” Duterte said.
She added that the funds may also be used to respond to incidents linked to extremist ideologies, including bombings and recruitment activities tied to terrorist groups.
She reiterated that the use of confidential funds cannot be openly discussed due to legal restrictions and the sensitive nature of intelligence operations.
Meanwhile, lawmakers from the Makabayan bloc on Saturday urged Duterte to stop “playing the victim” and abandon what they described as a “worn-out script” of conspiracy claims to dismiss questions about her confidential funds.
ACT Teachers Rep. Antonio Tinio, Gabriela Women’s Party Rep. Sarah Elago, and Kabataan Rep. Renee Louise Co rejected Duterte’s assertion that the House inquiry into her confidential funds was a political weapon or part of a supposed conspiracy.
The three lawmakers stressed that confidential funds involve public money and therefore warrant scrutiny from Congress and the public.
“Confidential funds involve public money. When millions are requested, rushed, and shrouded in secrecy, the Filipino people have every right to demand answers,” they said.
They added that dismissing the inquiry as a “fishing expedition” does not remove the questions raised about the use of the funds.
“Labeling congressional oversight as a ‘fishing expedition’ does not erase the questions; it only strengthens the need for scrutiny,” they said.
The Makabayan bloc also disputed Duterte’s claim that impeachment proceedings were initiated before evidence surfaced, saying the controversy arose from concerns about the scale and handling of the funds.
“Vice President Duterte insists impeachment came first before evidence, but the record shows otherwise: red flags raised questions about the size of the funds, the speed of their release, their purpose, and the safeguards against misuse,” they said.
They also cautioned against interpreting audit findings as a blanket clearance.
“Her repeated invocation of COA ‘unmodified opinions’ is misleading. An unmodified opinion is not a blanket certification that no wrongdoing occurred, especially when the spending category limits disclosure,” the statement read.
The lawmakers also criticized what they described as Duterte’s attacks against Makabayan.
“When politicians are under pressure, they resort to red-tagging,” they said.
The Makabayan bloc emphasized that Congress has a constitutional duty to exercise oversight over public funds.
“The House has constitutional duties of oversight and accountability, and no official is exempt,” they said.
They also urged the Vice President to address the questions directly before the House panel.
“Public officials who have nothing to hide face the inquiry. She should attend the Committee on Justice and answer the questions of the people,” the lawmakers said.







