Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

US reaffirms security pledge amid tensions

The United States reaffirmed its commitment to the security of the Philippines and regional stability in the Indo-Pacific, citing the 75-year-old Mutual Defense Treaty and concerns over China’s actions in the South China Sea, U.S. Chargé d’Affaires Y. Robert Ewing said Tuesday.

In his keynote address during the U.S.-Philippines Society Trilateral Panel, Ewing said shared values and a commitment to a free Indo-Pacific make Philippine concerns U.S. concerns, emphasizing that building credible deterrence remains a shared responsibility.

- Advertisement -

“During the 2025 ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Secretary Lazaro, then-Foreign Minister Takeshi, and Secretary Rubio reaffirmed our commitment to regional peace, stability, and freedom of navigation.

They emphasized that a free and secure Indo-Pacific depends on the Philippines’ economic growth,” he said.

Ewing cited joint efforts such as Balikatan 2025, the U.S.-Philippines military exercise that includes Japan as a participant, and the 2025 joint Coast Guard drill off Kagoshima, which brought together 350 personnel from the three countries to respond to high-seas emergencies.

“These exercises continue to grow in sophistication and scope, demonstrating our ability to address shared challenges together,” he added.

He pledged ongoing collaboration with the Philippines and Japan.

“The common thread across all these efforts is clear: our aligned, collective actions are making a real impact. We remain committed to deepening joint interoperability, expanding maritime cooperation, attracting investment, and driving technological transformation,” he said.

Speaking at the US-Philippines Society 2026 Board Meeting Panel Presentation on Monday, Philippine Ambassador to the U.S. Jose Manuel Romualdez said advancing shared interests relies on cooperation among like-minded partners, citing trilateral ties with the U.S. and Japan, the Philippines’ ASEAN chairship, and its UN Security Council bid as examples of multilateral commitment.

Joint drills held by the Philippine and U.S. air forces over Luzon airspace last week were not a reaction to tensions between China and Taiwan, an official said.

“No. It’s purely a joint exercise,” Philippine Air Force (PAF) spokesperson Col. Ma. Christina Basco said when asked if the exercises were related to the row between the two nations.

She said the February 2 to 6 air exercises between the PAF and the U.S. Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) were pre-approved under the Mutual Defense Board and Security Engagement Board (MDB-SEB).

She added that escorting foreign aircraft entering Philippine airspace is standard protocol, referring to the two FA-50PH jets seen flying alongside U.S. B-52 bombers during the drills.

“When there are foreign aircraft entering our airspace, we usually send escorts. We escort any aircraft that are coming in, especially from our partners,” she said.

On February 7, the PAF announced that Filipino and American aircraft conducted a series of exercises from February 2 to 6 in various locations in Luzon as part of efforts to boost interoperability between the two services.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img