Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Non-resident files SC petition vs. garbage fee

A petition for certiorari and prohibition was filed before the Supreme Court on Thursday challenging the constitutionality of a Manila ordinance imposing a revised schedule of garbage collection fees.

In an interview with Manila Standard, petitioner Barry Tayam, a resident of Las Piñas City, said he is asking the High Tribunal to declare the ordinance null and void.

- Advertisement -

Tayam said he filed the petition as a concerned citizen, stressing that the case involves public interest.

He said the Manila city government should reconsider what he described as excessively high garbage fees, adding that he hopes the Supreme Court will rule in his favor, particularly on procedural issues, despite his non-residency in Manila.

Among those named as respondents were Manila Mayor Francisco Moreno Domagoso and Vice Mayor Chi Atienza.

Tayam is also asking the High Court to order the Manila city assessor and treasurer to stop assessing and collecting the new fees, which reportedly increased by as much as 1,200 percent or 12 times the previous rate.

Last month, Domagoso announced the updated garbage fees, citing rising hauling costs and increased waste volume, noting that the rates had remained unchanged since 2013 and are now based on industry type and actual waste output.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Non-resident files SC petition vs. Manila garbage fee ordinance”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img