Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Makabayan bloc files VP impeach complaint with House sec-gen

An impeachment complaint was filed on Monday against Vice President Sara Duterte, members of the Makabayan bloc confirmed.

According to Super Radyo dzBB, Makabayan Coalition members submitted the complaint to the Office of the Secretary General of the House of Representatives, with endorsements from lawmakers of the Bayan Muna, Gabriela, ACT Teachers, Kabataan, and other progressive party-list groups.

- Advertisement -

Former Bayan Muna party-list representative Neri Colmenares said the complaint centers on Duterte’s use of P650 million in confidential funds, which had been the subject of congressional hearings during the 19th Congress.

Former ACT Teachers party-list Rep. France Castro said the group believes the Vice President betrayed public trust as Makabayan practically re-filed their impeachment complaint from last year.

“Today, the Makabayan bloc submitted a second impeachment complaint against Vice President Sara Duterte. The complaint is basically for betrayal of public trust, as seen in the hearings conducted during the 19th Congress on the use of confidential funds,” Castro said.

Former Gabriela party-list Rep. Arlene Brosas said they are hoping the House Committee on Justice will find the complaint sufficient in form and substance.

“We should not give excuses to the second highest official in the land. If the highest is corrupt, and the second is also corrupt, impeachment should follow,” Brosas said.

The Office of the Vice President has yet to comment on the filing as of posting time.

Last week, Duterte said her lawyers have been preparing for the possible filing of a new impeachment complaint even after the Supreme Court upheld its 2025 ruling declaring the earlier impeachment complaint against her unconstitutional.

“Until now, the lawyers and legal team are still working. And last year, before the Christmas break, we also discussed preparations for impeachment,” Duterte said in an interview in The Hague, Netherlands on January 29.

The Supreme Court announced on Thursday that it had unanimously denied with finality the House’s motion for reconsideration seeking to reverse its decision that voided the articles of impeachment against the Vice President.

The High Court reaffirmed that the fourth impeachment complaint transmitted to the Senate on February 5, 2025, was barred by the one-year rule under Article XI, Section 3(5) of the Constitution.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img