The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) on Sunday, February 1, reported the recovery of three more bodies in connection with the ongoing search and rescue (SAR) operations for the sunken M/V Trisha Kerstin 3.
Meanwhile, the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) said it will investigate claims from survivors that there were insufficient life vests, missing names in the passenger manifest, and that the ill-fated vessel was a replacement ship for the ferry that sank off Basilan last Monday.
The total number of fatalities has risen to 40, while the survivor count remains at 316, the Coast Guard said.
According to Coast Guard District Southwestern Mindanao (CGDSWM) Commander, Commodore Rejard Marfe, the adjustment accounts for one additional victim, a six-month-old female, who was turned over to the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) of Basilan on January 26, 2026, prior to her transport to Zamboanga City.
The PCG updated the tally following a validation and coordination meeting with the PDRRMO and the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO), which reconciled all reported recoveries related to the maritime incident.

The joint SAR team, composed of government agencies, local government units, and fisherfolk volunteers, retrieved two bodies from Baluk-Baluk Island and one from Lantawan Island. The recovered bodies will be transported to Zamboanga City for identification.
In a televised radio interview, MARINA spokesperson Director Luisito delos Santos said the lack of life vests and concerns regarding the manifest are among the possible lapses they will examine in their investigation and safety audit of Aleson Shipping Lines, which owns and operates the ship.
“We are seeing violations in the incident. First, it appears that the ship assigned to our fellow citizens to be transported that day was not actually the ship they were on… It seems to have been replaced,” Delos Santos said. “We are saying now that serious violations were found against Aleson Shipping Lines.”
He added that MARINA will look closely into survivor claims regarding the shortage of life vests.
“That is also part of our investigation… The sad thing is, initial accounts from passengers say there were life vests, but allegedly, the life vest compartment was locked,” he said.
“The life vest is our main defense… The sad thing is, there was no storm and the ship still sank.”
The official noted that the number of functional life jackets should always equal a vessel’s authorized passenger capacity.
“We will look into the authorized passenger capacity of the ship to see if there was overloading. There is also news that the ship transporting our countrymen was allegedly replaced,” he said.
Delos Santos said MARINA and the PCG are working together to manage the incident, with the PCG continuing search and rescue operations. Despite the findings so far, MARINA noted that the M/V Trisha Kerstin 3’s documents appear to be in order.
“As per the ship’s documents, they are valid. None have expired. The only issue now is the number of passengers,” Delos Santos said.
Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Coast Guard recovers over 40 bodies from sunken ferry”







