CEBU CITY—The Cebu City government aims to complete the clearing of the Binaliw landfill landslide site within the last two weeks of January, weather permitting, Mayor Nestor Archival said following a series of coordination meetings with local and national agencies.
In a post-Sinulog press conference at City Hall, Archival said retrieval and clearing operations remain ongoing as authorities continue to verify reports of additional bodies in the area.
He said the city has been conducting house-to-house visits to affected families, fully covering burial expenses for fatalities and arranging assistance for families who lost breadwinners.
In a related development, Cebu City is seeking alternative landfill sites after being granted a 30-day extension to temporarily dispose of waste at the Consolacion landfill in Barangay Polog.
Archival said negotiations are ongoing with landfill operators in Bogo City, Minglanilla, and Aloguinsan to ensure uninterrupted waste disposal once the extension expires.
“With the 30-day deadline now in effect, we are accelerating our talks with prospective landfill hosts and following up on Prime Integrated Waste Solutions’ commitment to establish a transfer station in Barangay Binaliw,” he said.
On January 22, Archival and city officials met with Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Secretary Raphael Lotilla at the Cebu Provincial Capitol to discuss immediate and long-term waste management measures following the landfill collapse.
Officials identified possible alternative disposal sites, new technologies, and materials recovery facilities, stressing the need for consultations with host local government units.
“We are closely coordinating with the DENR which serves as the lead agency in the investigation and we are committed to fully cooperate,” Archival said.
“We are also meeting with DSWD and DOLE regarding financial aid, employment assistance and livelihood programs particularly for unemployed family members and women affected by the incident.”
He added that assistance from national agencies has already been confirmed, although details are still being finalized.
Archival also said the city has requested the media to exercise restraint and sensitivity in reporting, following appeals from victims’ families.
The city’s waste crisis intensified after the Binaliw landfill collapse earlier this month that killed 36 workers and one volunteer rescuer.
DENR-Central Visayas has since ordered the suspension of landfill operations at the site, except for rescue and cleanup, pending compliance by the operator.
Archival also cited the urgency of waste management following the Sinulog Festival, during which nearly 700 tons of garbage were collected citywide.
“I am urging the public to manage their own waste at home and practice proper segregation,” he said, adding that plastics collected during the festivities would be recycled.







