Malacañang on Tuesday said the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) has largely completed its fact-finding work on alleged anomalies in flood control projects, pushing back against criticism from some lawmakers who claim the body was created to shield political allies and project an illusion of accountability.
Palace Press Officer and Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro said the ICI’s core mandate has been fulfilled, with commissioners now consolidating the evidence and testimonies gathered during the investigation.
“Their task has been finished. What remains is to gather and consolidate the evidence and testimonies,” Castro said during a Palace briefing.
Castro said most individuals invited by the commission cooperated with the probe, except for Davao City Representative Paolo Duterte and the late former Department of Public Works and Highways Undersecretary Catalina Cabral.
With the evidence compiled, Castro said the ICI is expected to determine whether cases should be recommended for filing. She said President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will decide on the next steps after reviewing the commission’s report.
“The President also said that it still depends on the work that has been done, and it should be evident how far the work of the ICI has reached,” Castro said.
The President earlier said most issues related to the probe had already been investigated, with only one or two loose ends left to be addressed.
Castro rejected accusations from some members of the House of Representatives questioning the President’s sincerity in forming the ICI, noting that Executive Order No. 94 mandates the review of transactions covering the past 10 years.
Responding to claims that the ICI was merely a show meant to protect administration allies, Castro said critics should substantiate their allegations.
“How can we say that the ICI is just a show? Its members were working and were likely barely sleeping at the time because they were overwhelmed with the volume of documents and evidence they were receiving,” she said.
Castro added that some critics may simply be dissatisfied with the actions of the President.
She also rejected assertions that the commission was designed to shield allies, citing cases where political allies of the President faced legal action.
“The President’s ally in the alliance is none other than former Senator Bong Revilla. Senator Bong Revilla surrendered, respected the process, respected the warrant of arrest, and respected the court,” Castro said.
Addressing concerns over the resignation of several ICI commissioners, Castro said the lack of replacements would not prevent the commission from completing its work or recommending cases.
She added that the President will decide whether to appoint new commissioners only after reviewing the ICI report.
Castro stressed that even after the ICI concludes its work, other government bodies will remain actively involved in anti-corruption efforts.







