Ombudsman Remulla said an investigation is already underway into alleged franchise violations of a solar energy firm founded by Batangas 1st District Rep. Leandro Leviste, following claims that the transfer of the franchise proceeded without congressional approval.
Leviste last June agreed to divest his shares in SP New Energy Corp. (SPNEC) before assuming office in the 20th Congress.
SPNEC is a subsidiary of Solar Philippines, a firm Leviste founded in 2013 and which is considered Southeast Asia’s largest solar company.
SPNEC said Leviste signed an agreement to sell SPNEC shares to Solar Philippines and its affiliates, raising more than P34 billion in total funding.
But Remulla, in his radio program, said the sale of Leviste’s controlling interest was not approved by Congress.
‘‘There was no consent from Congress for the transfer of that franchise,’’ Remulla said.
The Ombudsman also described the process as ‘‘critical,’’ adding that there were reportedly 84 contracts cancelled so far.
‘‘He is being investigated for franchise violations. A franchise should not be treated as a business. You are still very young, yet you are already trading a franchise. Do you have no shame?’’ Remulla said.
He said the national franchise for renewable energy is “critical to national life’ and should not have been flipped ‘‘bought and then promptly sold for profit’’ with such ease.
A large portion of the shares was sold to a power distribution company and to public shareholders.
‘‘Is your mother still a senator? That is what we should talk about first before anything else,’’ he added.
Remulla said this development has affected the national energy situation, noting that the government initially had an energy forecast that has since failed to materialize.
‘‘It did not happen. That is why I refused to engage, because the discussion keeps changing. We should be talking about his franchise,’’ he said, referring to Leviste’s discussions on the so-called Cabral files that he allegedly obtained from former Public Works Undersecretary Catalina Cabral.
Authorities are investigating Cabral’s death in December.
The Office of the Ombudsman continues to review the authenticity of the files, which supposedly contain a list of flood control projects and their proponents in recent years, as part of its ongoing investigation into alleged infrastructure irregularities.
In a Facebook post, however, Leviste said he would address all the allegations when Congress resumes session at the end of the month.
‘‘I am giving you two weeks to say everything. I will answer everything when Congress opens on January 26,’’ he said.







