The death toll from Typhoon “Tino” has risen to 188, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) reported on Friday.
“As of 6 a.m. na datos natin, umabot na sa 188… Tumaas,” OCD Junie Castillo said in an interview.
“Pumasok na dito yung mga numero, mga kababayan nating nasawi mula sa Negros Island Region. Yung Negros Island Region pa lang, that’s already 33, and Region 7 is 140,” he added.
The number of individuals who remain unaccounted for has increased to 135, according to Castillo.
“Meron pang 135 na missing, kaya ongoing pa rin po yung response operations doon, yung search, rescue, and retrieval operations ongoing sa mga areas na ito, lalo na dito sa Negros Island Region at Region 7,” he said.
“Sa Negros Island Region, meron mga 56 na reported na missing, and then sa Region 7, meron pang 79 na missing,” he added, but pointed out that the figures were still subject to validation.
Meanwhile, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that 96 people were injured during Tino’s onslaught.
The typhoon affected a total of 2,258,782 people or 635,565 families across the country, of which 397,634 were displaced from their homes.
A total of 9,585 houses were damaged — 9,321 partially and 264 totally, according to the NDRRMC.
Damage to agriculture was estimated at P10,615,193, while the destruction to infrastructure was at P6,330,000.
A total of 74 road sections and 10 bridge sections became impassable.
Power supply in 58 of the 162 affected areas has been restored.
Also, the communication lines in five of the 22 affected areas were back.
However, water supply problems still persist in 11 affected areas.
Classes in 707 areas and work schedules in 483 areas have been suspended due to the impact of the typhoon.
Assistance worth P111,123,620 has been provided to the victims so far, according to the NDRRMC.
On Thursday, President Marcos declared a state of national calamity due to “Tino.”







