The Philippine government has put on hold its planned purchase of 20 F-16 fighter jets from the United States, citing budget limitations, Philippine Ambassador to Washington Jose Manuel Romualdez confirmed on Tuesday.
“The last I heard, it’s been on hold, mainly because of funding,” he said at the inaugural Manila Strategy Forum organized by the Center for Strategic & International Studies at Solaire Resort Entertainment City in Parañaque.
“We’re still in discussion as far as that’s concerned, but at the end of the day it all boils down to the money — the availability of the funds,” he added.
The Department of National Defense, he said, made it clear that Manila would focus on “other priorities at this point in time rather than the purchase of such big-ticket items.”
The Philippine government had earlier submitted a letter of intent to acquire 16 F-16C Block 70/72 and four F-16D Block 70/72 fighter jets from the United States.
In April, the U.S. Department of State approved a possible foreign military sale valued at approximately USD 5.58 billion.
He added that the Philippines remains committed to strengthening its land-based defense systems through ongoing cooperation with the US.
“So, we will continue to pursue that. We’re just waiting in Washington, D.C., what are the next steps that we’ll be taking as far as that is concerned,” he said.
Romualdez said there is a “good indication” that Manila will continue to get the funding allotted by the US Congress to pursue this capacity building.
“President Marcos is expected to meet with Senator (Bill) Hagerty of Tennessee in New York. This is the forefront… this is the forefront of the modernization of the Armed Forces,” he said.







