CLARK FREEPORT, Pampanga—Capas town will be the second component city of Tarlac, Mayor Reynaldo Catacutan said Sunday.
Catacutan said all the requirements of a component city, like population, income, and land area, are all present in the municipality.
“We are very optimistic to become a component city because of the presence of Clark Green City, which is now called New Clark City that would surely generate more taxes for public services,” the mayor said in a media forum here.
Catacutan said that he, the municipal council, and 3rd District Rep. Noel Villanueva are working closely to convert the first-class municipality into a component city, perhaps by 2018.
Tarlac City was the first component city of Tarlac, doing so in 2009.
Catacutan said Capas has a total income of more than P300 million, including its Internal Revenue Allotment, with a total population of over 157,000 based on the last census.
This town is also the site of the Capas National Shrine that recognizes Filipino and American soldiers who died at Camp O’Donnell during the Death March in 1942.
According to Catacutan, Capas’ land area is about 43,000 hectares, including 90 percent of the 9,500-hectare New Clark City. The freeport’s remaining 10 percent of land area belongs to Bamban town, which forms the boundary between Tarlac and Pampanga.
The mayor said New Clark City is now undergoing massive development worth P7 billion in preparation for the 2019 Southeast Asian Games, where some events will be held in the area.
“The first phase of development involves construction of roads, bridges and site development,” he said.
Another P6 billion is earmarked for the constructions of housing for players for the events like baseball, softball, football, and soccer.
New Clark City also plans to allocate 250 hectares for the International Food Terminal, 250 hectares for a golf course, 50 hectares for the Philippine Sports Commission, 50 hectares for the University of the Philippines, and other lots for businesses and educational institutions.
Capas will also host four Philippines military installations near the Crow Valley and Sacobia Resettlement, Catacutan said.