Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Agriculture expected to sustain growth

Philippine agriculture is entering 2026 on firmer ground after posting its strongest growth in eight years, signaling new opportunities for expansion and modernization, Department of Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said Monday night.

Speaking during the induction of new Economic Journalists Association of the Philippines officers on Feb. 9, 2026, Tiu Laurel said the sector’s 3.1-percent growth in 2025 reflected the early impact of policy reforms.

- Advertisement -

The expansion occurred despite the country facing 23 storms last year, 22 of which hit during the crucial second half of the harvest season.

The growth coincided with a rebound in agricultural exports led by bananas and other tropical fruits. Philippine avocados reached the Japanese market for the first time, while durian gained access to new export destinations. Domestically, onion prices stabilized after years of sharp volatility.

“These are early gains from a deliberate reset of the sector. Agriculture must reclaim its role as a serious economic driver, offering hope and opportunity to the next generation,” Tiu Laurel said.

To support growth, the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. allocated one of the largest agriculture budgets in history.

The funds financed farm-to-market roads, warehouses, post-harvest facilities, food hubs, dryers and a national command center to strengthen coordination.

He acknowledged that current spending still falls short of fully addressing structural challenges. The Department of Agriculture estimates annual funding needs of P400 billion to P500 billion, sustained over two administrations, to reverse decades of underinvestment.

Tiu Laurel said this level of funding is required to rebuild institutions like the National Food Authority and bolster resilience against external shocks.

Near-term measures have already supported growth and stabilized food prices. Rice prices eased in 2025, which helped reduce inflationary pressures.

Programs such as Benteng Bigas, Meron Na expanded to all 82 provinces, benefiting over 2 million Filipinos and sourcing rice directly from local farmers.

Cold storage and food hub projects have moved from planning to construction, reducing post-harvest losses and enhancing supply chain efficiency.

“While challenges remain, we are determined to make the most of the hand we are dealt,” Tiu Laurel said, highlighting the sector’s growing potential as a driver of both food security and economic opportunity.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img