PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Friday expressed their readiness to face any independent inquiry regarding allegations of torture in the brutal death of a Bulacan policeman whose body was found in a septic tank last month.
Nartatez said standard procedures were observed during the arrest and detention of the suspects in the case of SSgt. Renato Casauay Jr.
“The Philippine National Police strictly follows established procedures, especially our existing policy that ensures that the rights of the accused in a crime is protected,” said Nartatez.
“But we welcome any effort to question the procedure and we are open to any investigation in the spirit of truth and transparency,” he added.
He stressed that the PNP does not tolerate torture or any form of human rights violation, adding that strict internal rules are in place to address any wrongdoing by police personnel.
Nartatez said the PNP is prepared to present documents and records if an inquiry is conducted by the Commission on Human Rights or any other oversight body.
Casauay was reportedly killed on Jan. 24 in Malolos City with a certain Julian Salamat, an alleged civilian informant, tagged as the suspected gunman.
Casauay’s remains were recovered from a septic tank a week after his disappearance.
Authorities apprehended three suspects, including Oliver, on the same day the body was found.
Salamat was subsequently arrested in Davao del Norte, while two other suspects later turned themselves in.
Meanwhile, four other suspects are still being sought by the investigators.







