Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Public warned vs. scammers posing as Customs personnel

THE Bureau of Customs (BOC) at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport on Tuesday warned the public against fraudulent seizure and detention warrants supposedly issued by its personnel and demanding large amounts of cash to settle the problem..

The BOC raised the red flag in light of dubious social media posts about a purported package containing $1.4 million that was intercepted and seized upon arrival in the country.

- Advertisement -

“Accordingly, the subject shipment and monetary instruments are hereby placed under seizure and detention pending administrative forfeiture proceedings and referral to the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) pursuant to Republic Act No. 9160, as amended,” the post read.

“The lawful owner, importer, or claimant is hereby required to file a verified answer under oath, together with complete documentary evidence establishing lawful ownership, source, and intended use of the funds, within fifteen (15) days from receipt hereof. Failure to comply shall result in forfeiture in favor of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines,” it added.

NAIA Customs collector Yasmin Mapa categorically said the online notice was not an official issuance by the agency, adding it was apparently meant to  mislead and possibly extort money from unsuspecting victims.

“The BOC clarifies that no such warrant, notice, or demand has been issued in connection with this matter. The public is reminded that all Warrants of Seizure and Detention, as well as documents of the Bureau of Customs, are served or transmitted only through official and formal means,” Mapa said.

She urged the public to remain vigilant, refrain from responding, and avoid making any payments related to this fraudulent document. 

“If you encounter similar suspicious communications, you may report them to us through the following official channels: boc.cares@customs.gov.ph or through our official hotline (02) 8705-6000,” she said.

Previously, the NAIA Customs district also called on the public to be wary of a syndicate engaged in an online scam using the identities of Customs officials.

The public was advised that certain unscrupulous individuals are using social media photos of B0C personnel and NAIA officials tp demand substantial amounts of money purportedly as clearance fees for the release of withhold shipments.

The bureau does not collect any fees or charges through G-cash or money remittance services, stating that payment of Customs duties and taxes is through Authorized Agent Banks or Customs Cashiers and given with corresponding official receipt for the payments made, Mapa said.

Customs has been receiving reports about the scheme through online, email, text message and calls, she added.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img