The chairperson of the House of Representatives committee on appropriations on Monday stated that Congress expects the Executive branch to submit the National Expenditure Program (NEP) for 2027 earlier to avoid the last-minute hassles experienced this year.
Nueva Ecija Rep. Mikaela Angela Suansing said the earlier submission of the national budget plan will allow lawmakers to thoroughly scrutinize the proposal without having to rush its enactment.
“Hopefully, by next year we’ll be able to finish earlier,” Suansing said, referring to the process of budget legislation.
Suansing made the statement as Congress has to rush the enactment of the P6.793-trillion 2026 national budget. The money measure is expected to be ratified by and signed by President Marcos on Monday, Dec. 29.
“It was around two weeks later than it was last year. Aug. 13 na po namin natanggap ‘yung NEP (We received the NEP on Aug. 13),” she said.
“If we’re able to receive it immediately after the SONA or a few days after the SONA, that would greatly help us manage the timeline,” Suansing stated.
Traditionally, the Budget Department submits the NEP to Congress a few weeks after the President delivers the State of the Nation Address in the 4th week of July.
Both the House and the Senate approved the bicameral conference committee report on the 2026 national budget, which Suansing described as a “people-centered budget,” as the funding provides bigger allocations for the education, health, and agriculture sectors.







