Philippine National Police acting chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Sunday, Dec. 28, directed police units to intensify their presence in transport hubs, major roads, and public areas to ensure peace and order amid the expected surge of travelers for the New Year celebration.
Nartatez said police units will adjust personnel deployment in key terminals, airports, and ports to manage the expected influx of travelers returning to their provinces.
“We expect another influx of passengers for the New Year celebration, especially since there will be a long holiday break. Our goal is to maintain police visibility so travelers feel safe from bus terminals to major thoroughfares and their destinations,” he said.
“The mere presence of our personnel on the ground already serves as assurance that assistance will be available in case of any eventuality,” he added.
Earlier, the PNP announced that more than 100,000 police officers will be deployed nationwide for the holiday season, a significant increase from last year’s 60,000 personnel.
Malacañang earlier suspended work in all government offices on Dec. 29 and Jan. 2 to give government workers a longer holiday break.
Police also expect those who returned to Metro Manila after Christmas and personnel who were on duty during Christmas but will be off on New Year to travel to their home provinces to be with their families.
Both Christmas and New Year celebrations are considered important by Filipinos, who are known to be family-oriented.
Nartatez urged travelers to observe rules set by authorities in terminals and other transport hubs to avoid delays, emphasizing that public cooperation is essential for safe and smooth travel.
He added that police officers will also assist concerned government agencies during roadworthiness inspections of passenger buses and checks on the physical and mental readiness of drivers to ensure safe travel.







