Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

PNP chief calls for safe, peaceful New Year revelries

Philippine National Police acting chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez, Jr., on Sunday enjoined barangay officials and the public to cooperate in ensuring safe and orderly New Year celebrations nationwide.

Nartatez cited the growing number of firework-related injuries, disclosing that nearly 100 individuals have already been hurt in the countdown to the New Year.

- Advertisement -

“The PNP reminds our kababayans (countrymen) to strictly observe safety while celebrating the New Year. A few days before the New Year itself, we have recorded approximately 100 individuals injured due to firecrackers,” he said.

“We continue to call on our countrymen to avoid the use of firecrackers for your safety,” Nartatez added.

Data from the Department of Health (DOH) showed that from December 21 to 27, there have been 91 firework-related injuries across the country, including two minors who suffered finger amputations

The data, collected from 62 monitored hospitals, marked a 34 percent decrease compared to 137 cases during the same period last year. Most injuries occurred in Metro Manila with 40 cases, followed by the Ilocos Region with 10, and Western Visayas with eight.

The amputations were caused by five-star and whistle-bombs, with the victims 10 to 14.

Nartatez assured the public that the police will strictly enforce regulations against illegal and unsafe firecrackers.

“The entire police force is with you in ensuring that we welcome the New Year safely and peacefully, so I hope we can all work together,” he said.

He also called on barangay officials to take the lead in making community celebrations safe and orderly.

“Barangay leaders are at the forefront of ensuring that local festivities remain incident-free. We urge them to be proactive in safeguarding their constituents, especially against the use of illegal firecrackers and even firearms during New Year celebration,” Nartatez added.

He also commended barangay officials who are using social media to advise and warn their constituents against the selling and use of illegal firecrackers.

This after the PNP monitored that some official accounts of barangays are not only active in reminding their constituents of responsible New Year celebration, but also reposting information from the PNP against illegal firecrackers and indiscriminate firing.

Nartatez reminded every Filipino to exercise caution, prioritize safety, and celebrate responsibly to ensure that the New Year is memorable for all the right reasons.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img