The Department of Health (DOH) on Christmas Day reported eight new firework related injuries, raising the nationwide total to 28 cases since Dec. 21 based on monitoring as of 4 a.m. on Dec. 25.
The latest figures were collected from 62 sentinel hospitals nationwide that are tracking fireworks related injuries during the holiday season.
Despite the additional cases, the department said the overall number of injuries this year remains significantly lower than figures recorded during the same period last year.
By Dec. 25, 2024, the department had logged 56 firework related injury cases, or double the number recorded so far in 2025.
Health officials said the current tally represents about a 50% decline compared with last year’s Christmas Day count.
Data showed that 19 of the 28 injured individuals were aged 19 and below, while the remaining cases involved adults aged 20 and above, accounting for roughly 32 percent of the total.
The department reiterated its appeal for the public to immediately bring victims to hospitals if fireworks related accidents happen.
Meanwhile, Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa urged Filipinos to prioritize health and safety throughout the Christmas season.
In a video message, he said maintaining good health is the best gift people can give themselves and their loved ones.
“Avoid excessive consumption of fatty, salty, sweet, and oily foods, exercise for 30 to 60 minutes daily, and refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking, or vaping,” Herbosa advised.
He also reminded travelers heading to the provinces to observe road safety measures at all times, wear seat belts, while motorcycle riders were advised to use helmets approved by the Department of Trade and Industry.
The health chief also expressed appreciation for public servants and workers who remained on duty during Christmas.
“We salute you and extend our heartfelt gratitude for your dedication and compassion for the nation. The Department of Health hopes that every Filipino remains safe and healthy this Christmas,” Herbosa said.







