FIVE New People’s Army (NPA) rebels, three of them unit leaders, were reported killed in an encounter with government troops in Camarines Sur on Tuesday.
The Philippine Army’s 9th Infantry Division spokesman Maj. Frank Roldan said soldiers from the 83rd Infantry Battalion and the Philippine National Police encountered the insurgents in a mountainous area of Barangay Burabod, Lagonoy town.
Roldan said among the casualties were alias Bal, head of the Regional Urban Committee of the Bicol Regional Party Committee; alias Paeng, head of Platoon 1, Komiteng Larangang Guerilla Sub-Regional Committee; and alias Ter/Dado, head of KLG2, SRC2, along with their followers identified only as Cris and Pepe.
He said the troops also recovered from the scene an M16 rifle, a .45 caliber pistol, three anti-personnel mines, a laptop, and personal belongings.
The incident followed intensified pursuit operations after the discovery of four M16 rifles in Barangay Pinamihagan, Lagonoy on Dec. 20.
Roldan said the communist guerillas were trying to return to areas they previously controlled to garner support, but some residents reported their presence to the authorities.
9ID commander Maj. Gen. Aldwine Almase thanked the villagers for their cooperation in maintaining peace and security.
He urged the remaining members of the group to surrender.







