More than 100,000 police personnel will be deployed nationwide to secure the Christmas and New Year period, higher than last year’s deployment of 60,000, to ensure adequate coverage of transport terminals, major roads, and other crowded areas, acting Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., said on Sunday.
Nartatez ordered the enhanced security measures and increased police visibility in ports, terminals, and other transportation hubs across the country as millions of Filipinos begin their travel to their home provinces for the Christmas and New Year holidays.
He said local police units have been instructed to carefully plan and adjust the deployment of personnel in major transport hubs to ensure the safety and orderly movement of passengers during the expected surge of travelers.
“I have directed our local police units to strategize the deployment of personnel in ports and terminals to increase police presence in these public areas,” said the acting PNP chief.
“Our security measures are in place, and part of them is the regular adjustments based on the situation on the ground. As expected, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of people in the terminals and the roads leading to transportation hubs, and we have been directing our personnel and resources in these areas to ensure public safety,” he added.
Nartatez also reminded the public to observe rules and regulations while traveling and to cooperate with authorities to help prevent untoward incidents.
“Our police personnel will be on the ground 24/7 not only to ensure their safe travel but also to secure business and residential areas during the entire Christmas season,” he said.
Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “PNP tightens security at transportation hubs amid Christmas exodus”







