The Department of Health (DOH) said it will ramp up vaccination efforts against measles and measles-rubella after nationwide cases rose by 29 percent compared to last year.
In a statement on Saturday, December 20, DOH Secretary Teodoro Herbosa said strengthening vaccination efforts is aimed at preventing child deaths.
Through the Ligtas-Tigdas Vaccination program, the department, in collaboration with local government units, will intensify immunization against measles and rubella to prevent deaths among children caused by these diseases, the DOH said.
Herbosa noted that the first phase of the supplemental immunization campaign will be conducted in Mindanao and the Bangsamoro region from January 19 to February 13, while the second phase will cover Luzon and the Visayas in June.
As of December 6, the DOH reported 4,843 measles-rubella cases nationwide, a 29 percent increase from the 3,748 cases recorded in 2024, with 73% involving unvaccinated individuals.







