Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

ICI ends hearings indefinitely, to focus on case buildup

The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) announced that it will persist with its investigation into the corruption cases related to the multibillion-peso flood control project, even after concluding its last day of hearings for this year.

This signifies the ICI’s commitment to thoroughly uncovering the issues surrounding ghost projects and other anomalies, aimed at ensuring proper accountability and transparency in government operations, according to ICI Executive Director Brian Keith Hosaka.

- Advertisement -

Hosaka said the ICI sets its priority on looking at 80 alleged ghost projects that were awarded to 15 contractors, identified by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

He added the commission is expected to gather crucial evidence in the coming days that could shed light on the mismanagement of funds related to flood control projects.

When asked about the effect of the resignation of Commissioner Rogelio Singson on ICI, Hosaka said, “There would still be a chairman and Commissioner (Rossana) Fajardo. That would be two out of the three commissioners in the ICI.” Singson decided to step down due to health reasons.

“It is very clear under Executive Order 94, the commission will continue to exist until the purpose for which it was created is achieved, or until dissolved earlier by the President.”

Hosaka said the ICI will also continue its support and participation in the drafting of a law that would grant additional power to a commission that would eventually be created to investigate anomalous infrastructure projects of the government.

So far, the ICI has made at least three recommendations to the Office of the Ombudsman for the filing of cases against prominent individuals, including lawmakers, officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways, and private contractors.

Among those recommended to be charged were incumbent Senators Joel Villanueva and Jinggoy Estrada, as well as former Ako Bicol Party List Rep. Zaldy Co, former Public Works Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, Commission on Audit Commissioner Mario Lipana, and former Caloocan Representative Mitch Cajayon-Uy.

Earlier this month, the ICI also recommended to the Ombudsman to file criminal charges against former senator Ramon Revilla Jr. and 10 other individuals. The possible cases include direct or indirect bribery and corruption of public officials, plunder, and administrative sanctions, among others.

The ICI also asked the Ombudsman to conduct further investigative review and case build-up against Senators Francis Escudero and Mark Villar, as well as former senators Nancy Binay and Grace Poe, based on the accusation made by Usec. Bernardo.

The commission earlier deferred its submission of charges to the Ombudsman, also concerning at least three current and former senators, saying it will reevaluate the inconsistent testimonies of Bernardo, who alleged that the lawmakers were involved in the anomaly.

“The ICI continued with the investigation through coordination with relevant government agencies, particularly evidence gathering and case buildup with regard to its mandate to look into the anomalous infrastructure projects,” said Hosaka.

On Monday, former DPWH undersecretary Catalina Cabral snubbed the invitation from the ICI to serve as one of the resource persons for Monday, when the commission conducted its last hearing for the year.

Cabral was also named among the individuals recommended on Nov. 6 by the commission to face charges from the Ombudsman in relation to the alleged ghost project in Bulacan worth P95 million.

Meanwhile, AGAP Party-list Rep. Nicanor Briones appeared at ICI’s Monday hearing, denying his purported connection to the scandal.

The fact-finding body carried out the proceedings behind closed doors at the request of Briones.

Briones’ lawyer Winston Ginez said they requested the executive session due to concerns that the livestreaming of the proceedings could potentially inflict additional harm and damage to his client’s reputation.

“He has no way of controlling how the public will misinterpret or misconstrue the highly sensitive personal information that he may convey to the honorable commission during this proceeding.”

Officials from the Department of Budget and Management also attended the last ICI hearing.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img