Las Piñas Rep. Mark Anthony Santos disclosed that politician-contractor Carlo Aguilar left the Philippines just five days after the testimony of former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) undersecretary Roberto Bernardo before the Senate last month.
In an interview with Bilyonaryo News, Santos said Aguilar departed via Ninoy Aquino International Airport for Tokyo, Japan on November 19 and has not returned since.
He added that fleeing the country is indicative of guilt, suggesting that Aguilar’s “escape” strengthens suspicion that he has significant issues to address.
In his testimony, Bernardo claimed that former DPWH Undersecretary for Planning Catalina Cabral, allegedly with the consent of then DPWH Secretary and now Senator Mark Villar, assigned him to compile a list of flood control projects along with the requisite funding to secure the contracts.
Aguilar, a cousin of Villar, was among those recommended last week by the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) to face charges from the Office of the Ombudsman in relation to the multi-billion-peso flood control project scandal.
Also included in the ICI recommendation were former Senator Bong Revilla Jr., Maynard Ngu, Carleen Villa, Gerard Opulencia, Manny Bulusan, Ruel Umali, Gene Ryan Altea, Carleen Yap-Villa, J.Y. Dela Rosa, and a Mrs. Patron.
The commission said the possible charges include direct or indirect bribery and corruption of public officials, plunder, and administrative sanctions, among others.
ICI chair Andres Reyes said that due to the gravity of the allegations, they also asked the Ombudsman to conduct further investigation and case build-up against then DPWH Secretary and now Senator Mark Villar, Senator Francis Escudero, and former senators Nancy Binay and Grace Poe.







