“No impact.”
This was the initial assessment by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) concerning the first day of the three-day transport strike organized by the Malayang Alyansa ng Bus Employees at Laborers (Manibela).
Manibela claimed however, that several commuters were stranded on the first day of their strike, which purported “paralyzed” the public transportation sector in Metro Manila.
According to MMDA Traffic Discipline Office director for enforcement Victor Nuñez, no stranded passengers were reported or monitored as of 2 p.m. Tuesday to their command center which receives road-related reports and calls.
“No effect. No free rides dispatched because there are no stranded passengers. The strike is not felt,” Nuñez said.
The MMDA also said traffic flow in the National Capital Region was normal.
MMDA chairman Romando Artes earlier said the agency had prepared an augmentation in case it was needed to “make sure that the protest will have minimal impact on the commuters.”
MMDA assets, including buses and other vehicles marked with “Libreng Sakay” or free rides, were on standby and are ready to be dispatched to accommodate stranded commuters.
The MMDA recognized the success of transport strikes in the past, which have previously disrupted public transportation throughout Metro Manila, occasionally resulting in class suspensions. But the agency has noted that the impact of these strikes has diminished.
Artes said this reduction in effectiveness was attributed to strategic government initiatives aimed at mitigating disruptions.
The striking organization said they were “sorry” for inconveniencing the riding public, but insisted that this action was necessary so the government would listen to their appeals.
“Apologies to our dear commuters. No trips today,” said in one of its Facebook posts with attached images of commuters waiting for their rides on the curb.
Manibela blamed the government, claiming that agencies such as the Department of Transportation . the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, and the Land Transportation Office did not care about their concerns.
“This is the caused of the excessive arrogance of the DOTR, LTFRB and LTO that lack concern and understanding for the Filipino people,” the group said.
In Manila, members of Manibela held picket signs, urging government agencies to grant their appeal for a five-year franchise. In Quezon City, private vehicles and motorcycles outnumbered public utility jeepneys (PUJs) during the morning rush hour along Philcoa and the Commonwealth Avenue.
The striking jeepney drivers renewed their calls against the planned phaseout of traditional PUJs for the public transport modernization program. They also denounced excessive penalties, alleged extortion, and slow processing of documents.







