Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said the return of P60 billion in excess funds to Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) could bolster the implementation of the zero-balance billing program in Department of Health (DOH) hospitals.
In an interview with DZBB on Sunday, December 7, Castro mentioned that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. understands the significance of these funds, particularly as the government moves forward with the zero-balance billing initiative in DOH hospitals.
“‘Yun talaga ang gusto ng Pangulo, matulungan ang lahat ng ating kababayan sa pangkalusugan na isyu (That is really what the President wants—to help all our fellow citizens with healthcare issues),” she said.
Castro issued this statement after the Supreme Court’s unanimous decision to order the return of the P60 billion excess funds previously transferred from PhilHealth to the National Treasury.
In response, PhilHealth expressed its support for the SC’s decision, stating that this ruling will contribute to the sustainability of its Universal Health Care program and improve its benefits and services.
In a statement on Friday, December 5, Executive Secretary Ralph Recto said the national government will comply with the Supreme Court directive and ensure that the return of the funds is conducted in accordance with existing laws and budgetary procedures.
Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Palace says PhilHealth funds may boost ‘zero balance’ billing program”







