Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

PNP ready for ‘Trillion Peso March’ 2.0 on Nov. 30

Philippine National Police (PNP) acting chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said Friday they are ready to deploy stronger security contingents for the scheduled anti-corruption protests on November 30, also known as ‘Trillion Peso March 2.0,’ to ensure the safety of all the participants.

Nartatez said the expanded deployment, which forms part of the 15,000-strong police presence, aims to guarantee quick response capability and not to intimidate protesters.

“The deployment is not about intimidation, it’s about readiness. We expect large numbers of crowds in multiple activity areas, so our personnel on the ground should be quick in responding to emergencies and even any violation of the law,” said Nartatez.

“Let me be clear that law enforcement presence does not mean aggressive action. The order for maximum tolerance still remains,” he added.

Apart from the assignment of personnel, assets and equipment will also be deployed. The PNP likewise said it will be using its long-range acoustic device (LRAD) trucks in key areas. These were mobilized last September 21 in areas with huge crowds such as People Power Monument and Mendiola.

- Advertisement -

In a text message to Manila Standard, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO)  spokesperson Maj. Hazel Asilo confirmed the usage of LRAD trucks across Metro Manila “to disseminate announcements” to deployed personnel.

Quezon City Police District (QCPD) Public Information Office chief Maj. Jennifer Gannaban also confirmed to Manila Standard the deployment of such police sonic assets within their area of responsibility, as part of security and safety measures for the November 30 rally.

The LRAD is a specialized loudspeaker that can project high-power sound over great distances for communication and non-lethal crowd control. These devices are used by military and law enforcement to broadcast warnings and instructions, but can also be used to disperse crowds.

Around 8,800 police personnel from the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) and 6,200 police personnel from the Special Action Force (SAF) and regional police offices will be deployed for the planned protests on November 30, which includes major groups from organizers of the Trillion Peso March and Baha sa Luneta movements.

“The deployment is to ensure the safety of all, whether protesters or not. We fully respect the people’s right to peaceful assembly, and our commitment is to provide a safe, orderly, and secure environment for everyone on November 30,” Nartatez said.

Major deployment areas include Luneta Park, People Power Monument, EDSA Shrine, sites around the Malacañang compound, as well as the House of Representatives, Senate, and the Independent Commission for Infrastructure in Taguig City.

Nartatez noted that while no specific or credible threat has been detected so far, proactive measures remain necessary.

The PNP is also gearing up for possible infiltration attempts by groups seeking to cause unrest, similar to what happened during the September 21 rally in Manila.

“There are always considerations like this in large gatherings. Our intelligence monitoring is focused on potential agitators. Rest assured, we are coordinating closely with other agencies to prevent any attempt to hijack the peaceful intent of the rally,” Nartatez said.

To boost transparency and accountability, Nartatez directed police ground commanders to finalize security coordination with protest organizers and partner agencies, require the use of body-worn cameras in all police engagements, and deploy human rights affairs officers across the activity areas.

“We want to convey to the public that the PNP is here to protect, not to hinder,” Nartatez stressed.

Furthermore, Nartatez announced the suspension of all permits to carry firearms outside of residence for three days starting November 29 (Saturday) until December 1 (Monday) in Metro Manila as part of security preparations for the scheduled anti-corruption protests on November 30.

Only members of the PNP, Armed Forces of the Philippines, and other law enforcement agencies on official duties and in agency-prescribed uniform are allowed to carry firearms during this period, according to the one-page order dated November 27, 2025 signed by Nartatez.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img